The Government of Maldives has been proactive in upholding Maldives to be a safe destination for their citizens and travellers. To further strengthen their stance, the ministry has announced their decision to ease certain travel restrictions, effective 20th April, 2021, until further notice, given the below conditions are met:
1. Travel quarantine will be exempted for ALL individuals, if travelling to an island where 60% of the island population (including tourist resort/guesthouse and hotel islands) have completed the two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO).
2. If 60% of the island population (including tourist resort/guesthouse and hotel islands) have NOT completed two doses of Covid-19 vaccine, travel quarantine exemption can be exercised if the individual travelling has completed the two doses of any Covid-19 vaccine recognized by the WHO, two weeks prior to said travel. However, the following conditions will apply:
2.1 A negative PCR test will be required if the individual is travelling from an island with a sample positivity rate of more than 5%.
2.2 A negative PCR test will be required for accompanying children who are not eligible for a Covid-19 vaccine.
3. Completion of 14 (fourteen) days after the second dose or the prescribed dose(s) of a vaccine that has been approved by the World Health Organization, Emergency Use Listing (EUL) or the Maldives Food and Drug Authority, or any other competent authority of the respective countries.
However, travellers (work permit holders) arriving to the Maldives to work in any of the below given areas are required to present a PCR test for which the sample was taken within a maximum of 96 hours prior to their travel to the Maldives. If this requirement is not fulfilled, the individual will be required to take a PCR test upon arrival.
1) Individuals working in any form of Healthcare Facility
2) Individuals working in any form of Daycare Centers
3) Individuals working in any Educational Institution
4) Individuals working in any Residential care facilities